Hassan used to be known as the poor man’s Ooty. But now it is quite warm. Hassan has all the facilities of a modern town which will be quite useful to the tourists and they will get all facilities here. The tourists can camp here and from here go to the places around. It is a beautiful town in the heart of Malanad. It is said that the name Hassan came from the original name of Simhasanapura. We are experts in shortening the long names like K R Puram K G Nagar etc. There is a Devi temple in the heart of Hassan town by the name Hasanamba and the temple is open only once during October for about 12 to 15 days during the year for public. Hassan is in the South Center portion of Karnataka State. The known history of Hassan date back to the 300 BCE (before Christian era). That is about 23 centuries history. The earliest reference is that It was a part of the North Indian Mauryan empire. Around 300 BCE the Jain sage Bhadrabahu was supposed to have come accompanied by several ascetics (people who follow strict denials – spiritual minded). This is the start of the Jainism in Karnataka. This shows that there might have been local population even before this time. According to some historians the famous Chandragupta Maurya (grand father of Emperor Asoka) was a disciple of Bhadrabahu and he had also come with Bhadrabahu. They came to Shravanabelegola and settled there. Some other historians dispute this and say that Chandragupta Maurya was the grandson of Emperor Asoka and he came much after Bhadrabahu. There is a basadi (a monument) in the name of Chandragupta basadi even now exists Shravanabelegola. Anyway it established the fact that Shravanabelegola was a Jain worship place from around BCE300 (for about 2300 years). Later during the period of A D 350 to 999 the Ganga dynasty of Talakkad was ruling the present Hassan district as part of their kingdom. Later from AD 1000 to 1334 it was under the Hoysala Empire with their head quarters first at Hale Beedu and later shifted to the nearby Belur. During the Vijayanagar Empire between 15th and 16th centuries the Kings of that empire used to patronise the Channakesava deity of Belur as their family deity. For after another 200 years the area was under dispute between the Shimoga rulers Keladi Nayakas and Mysore Vodeyars. Finally it merged with the Mysore kingdom. In between the Ganaga rule and the Hoysalas this place was under the Chalukyas and Rashtrakutas. Many Jain monuments including the Gomateswara Statue of 50 feet were commissioned by the Ganaga Dynasty General Chamundaraya. In and around Shravanabelagola there are several inscriptions in Kannada, Sanskrit, Tamil, Marathi, Mahajani and Marwari languages covering the period of 600 to 1830 AD covering various dynasties and is an archaeological centre apart from being a tourist centre and Jain worship centre. Shravana is the name of a Jain ascetic and biliya (white) kola (pond) and from this the name Shravanabelegola derived to the place. Under the Hoysala rule a clan by name Angadi built up a powerful empire comprising of the entire Malanad region and they were responsible for the construction of more than 50 Hoysala temples in the region. The ISRO Satellite centre is located in Hassan.